I was feeling a little stressed in the store grocery store today trying to get some last minute plans together for having guests for dinner that evening. Cooking and even planning what to have for company does not come easy to me. I certainly did not take after my Mother who would cook up a slew of food and then store it in the freezer ready for any company that might pop by that evening. How did she find the time or energy for that? I might have the time and the energy, but what about my "want to?"
I remember one day when Mom thought it was time to teach me how to cook and she had me help her bake up some cookies. Well now, my Dad was outside doing something much more interesting and I just knew I needed to be with him but Mom wouldn't hear of it!
I was a Daddy's girl. I loved hanging with him. Dad would take me out with him to test drive a new/used car he had just bought. That's just what you "did" when you got a different vehicle. You just HAD to know how fast that thing could go!! Why? I don't know, but it sure was fun!!
So standing in the kitchen with Mom my mind was whirling with thoughts of how I could get out of learning how to bake cookies that day. We had flour and salt mixed in among some other ingredients Mom had told me to measure in to the making of these cookies when opportunity presented itself! I had already been goofing off and whining about not wanting to bake so when Mom told me to throw an egg in.........well........that's what I did! I did throw that egg in. The whole egg, and that was the final straw with Mom. When Mom got mad......she got mad! Her small brown eyes would snap and I swear they looked like an angry monkey's eyes! I know that because we used to have a monkey and when she got mad at me I knew I needed to get out of her presence and fast!!! That's another story though!!!
My plan didn't quite go as I had thought and hoped it would. Instead of getting to go hang out with Dad I got to hang out in my room.
As I'm formulating a plan for what to cook for dinner tonight I hear the sound of singing and dancing feet. I turn around just in time to see a Father and his three little girls skipping up the aisle headed towards the beautifully decorated cakes and cookies. The girls were dressed up in their finery of tutu's and lace and little ballerina shoes with ribbons and bows in their long blond curls. Very girly - girl looking! Their Father, thankfully wasn't. He was dressed in blue jeans and t-shirt and not so ballerina looking tennis shoes! The Father was not embarrassed at all over the attention he got with his skipping and singing. He told me these were only three of the five girl's he had AND he had one son!
All I can say is...........that is just precious!!! It's not every day that you see a Father delighting his daughters in such a way. The smiles and giggling spilling out from the girls was contagious!!! You couldn't help but be drawn in. I wanted to go skip with them!!! I wanted to go skip rope with them!! Maybe even re-learn how to run that hula hoop!! That would be oh so much more fun then going home and cooking!!!
With a renewed mind and a renewed spirit within me I skipped home to.......COOK!!! THEN.........where did I put that hula hoop!!!!!!!
Walking by Faith,
Deb
No comments:
Post a Comment