Tuesday, December 10, 2013

MERRY CHRISTMAS!!!


Everywhere you look there is a feeling of Christmas in the air!  Songs like Deck The Halls, Jingle Bells, We Wish You A Merry Christmas, and Away In The Manger are just a few of the songs that will be heard over the next several weeks. 


I remember as a little girl being so excited the whole month of December with the hustle and bustle of busyness going on all around me.  There were choir practices to attend.  Christmas play practices to get through.  AND OH!!  Who can forget about all of the Scripture memorization to be done.  Then there were 4-H club parties to attend, and friends parties to go to.  On and on it went.........

One of my special parts about Christmas was the caroling we did!  I remember getting a brand new pair of leotards to wear with my new Christmas dress Mom had made for me.  I was so excited that I could hardly stand myself!!!  I loved wearing those leotards because they made me feel all grown up when put together with my new dress and bright and shiny black patent leather buckle shoes! 

Oh what fun we had sitting on bales of hay stacked on the back of a trailer pulled by a truck up and down the city blocks of town stopping here and there to jump off to go up to peoples homes and sing a special song or two!  Afterwards we were guaranteed some hot chocolate with marshmallows that were quickly melting deliciously in our cups.  But of course!!!  There were a delightful variety of cookies and sweet breads flowing freely to anyone who so desired a taste!  YUM!

The topper of all was on Christmas Eve at Grandma's house.  The whole Smith Family would sit down to a very full course dinner that seemed to disappear so quickly!  We had to be quick because then we would all run over to the Church for the special Christmas play and singing AND the handing out of the bags of candy!  Then we all rushed back to Grandma's house to open up our Christmas presents.  Oh the excitement that filled the room was contagious!!!  Of course, Santa Clause made his entrance to hand us a special present with our very own name written on it!

I remember how my Grandma would make our Christmas gifts.  One that stands out in my mind was a beautiful blond haired doll with the biggest and prettiest full skirted gown I've ever seen!  This dolls eyes would open and close as you tipped her back and forth.  So cool!!

I could go on and on with my memories.  Once I was still enough to let the memories flow they did just that, but it's time to shut them down.  It has been fun remembering and sharing just a few of my childhood Christmas memories with you.  I miss those old fashioned Christmases where families gathered together and got along with each other!   You lived close enough to your relatives that you got to hang out with your cousins!  We had so much fun!!!

At this special time of year please join me in focusing on taking Jesus out of the Manger and opening up our hearts to invite Him to enter in.  That will be an intentional choice you will never regret...........

From my heart to yours..........I pray the love of Jesus to the overflow in each and everyone of your lives!!!





Walking By Faith,

Deb

 

2 comments:

  1. OH Deb, you took me back with you to all the warm feelings and memories. It brings to mind a few of my own! Thank you for taking us with you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It is so much fun Julie remembering a good Old Fashioned Christmas time! I'm glad that you enjoyed it!!

    ReplyDelete